Mango (Banaganapalli)-Benefits And Nutritional Facts
As we all know that mango is called as “king of fruits”. The scientific name of mango is Mangifera indica. It’s a drupe, or stone fruit, which means that it has a large seed in the middle. Benishan is a mango variety produced in Banaganapalle of Kurnool district in the Indian state of Andhra pradesh. Mango is a summer fruit and are packed with many health benefits. It is the perfect fruit for summer, that keeps you hydrated and also nourishes your body.
The king of the fruits mango, is one of the most popular, nutritionally rich fruits with unique flavor, fragrance, taste, and heath promoting qualities. It a common ingredient in new functional foods. Mangoes are low in calories but high in dietary fibre, protein and water that keeps your digestive tract work healthy and efficiently. This fruit is also rich in vitamins, minerals, and poly-phenolic flavonoid antioxidant compounds.
Mango fruit is an excellent source of Vitamin-A and flavonoids like beta-carotene, alpha-carotene, and beta-cryptoxanthin. 100 g of fresh fruit provides 765 mg or 25% of recommended daily levels of vitamin A. Other benefits include the breakdown and digestion of protein and fibre, which keeps the digestive tract work efficiently.
- Improves vision.
- Maintains healthy mucus membrane and skin.
- Protects from lung and oral cavity cancers.
- Controls heart rate.
- Controls blood pressure.
- It also regulates the digestion process with the help of enzymes in the fruit.
- It is high in anti-oxidants
- Contains vitamins such as B6, A, E, B5 and K
- Rich source of protein and dietary fibre
- Contains copper and folate
Mango fruit has been found to protect against colon, breast, leukemia and prostate cancers. Several trial studies suggest that polyphenolic antioxidant compounds in mango are known to offer protection against breast and colon cancers.
Mangoes have an impressive nutrition profile with vitamin A, vitamin C, copper and folate. Folate helps the fetus grow healthier. Fresh mango is a good source of potassium. 100 g fruit provides 156 mg of potassium while just 2 mg of sodium. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that helps controlling heart rate and blood pressure.
|Nutrients||Amount per 100 g|
|Omega-3 fats||101 mg|
|Folate (vitamin B9)||82.05 mcg|
|Vitamin C||32.97 mg|
|Vitamin A||194.67 mcg|
|Beta carotene||1168 mcg|
It is also a very good source of vitamin-B6 (pyridoxine), vitamin-C, Beta carotene and vitamin-E. Consumption of foods rich in vitamin C helps the body develop resistance against infectious agents and scavenge harmful oxygen-free radicals. Vitamin B-6 or pyridoxine is required for GABA hormone production within the brain. It also controls homocystiene levels within the blood, which may otherwise be harmful to blood vessels resulting in CAD and stroke.
The bioactive compounds and phytochemicals in mango may suppress fat cells and fat related genes that indicates a beneficial weight loss.
- Mango is rich in vitamins, mineral and antioxidants and has been associated with many health benefits, including potential anticancer effects as well as improved immunity, digestive, eye, skin and hair health.
- it’s tasty very yum and easy to add to your diet as part of smoothies and other dishes.
- This fruit indicates beneficial weight loss. But, if you overeat this fruit, it will definitely cause weight gain.